I've Arrived!
Dear Everyone,
I'm sorry that I haven't gotten back to everyone's personal emails yet - I've had very spotty internet access thus far. However - I'm in Israel!
After a crazy few days of packing and packing and more packing (which I never would have finished without Shoshanah's help), I left Greensboro at 5am on Sunday morning. I flew uneventfully to Washington DC and then to Boston. I wandered around Boston with my friend Aaron for a while, and then got on a flight to Paris. From Paris I flew on to Tel Aviv and I finally arrived on Monday at 4pm local time in Tel Aviv!
I got to my new apartment that evening, met one of my roommates, dropped off my bags, jumped in the shower, and went out to dinner with two friends! Boy, did I sleep well that night. The next morning was registration at Hebrew University which went well. I spent that afternoon downtown getting some necessities (you know, like a new power adapter that doesn't work) and began classes the next morning. (Ulpan = intensive Hebrew language instruction)
My first ulpan: I was placed in level one and argued myself up to level two.
My second ulpan: I was placed in level one and argued myself up to level three.
This ulpan: I was placed in level two and argued myself up to level three.
This level seems perfect for me. A lot is review, but I'm still learning a lot and forcing myself to spend at least an hour and a half on review and homework each night - at this rate I may actually learn Hebrew!
On Wednesday I took the bus home from class as usual (my new apartment is quite close to where my classes will be in September, but a forty-ish minute bus ride from where my classes are this summer). But all of a sudden the bus veered off of its normal route. I had no idea what was going on and, knowing the neighborhood somewhat well, I
realized it was completely skipping my stop. I got off, walked a few blocks back, and got to my apartment. I left my apartment a bit later to run some errands (remember that broken power adapter?) and woa! There was a street fair going on down the road! It was Hebrew Book Week this past week all over Israel, and one of the many events that was going on was a huge street fair in my neighborhood! I spent some time there during the two afternoons and evening that it was going on and ran into nearly a dozen people - old friends, new friends, classmates, roommates, everyone was out! It was so wonderful to see so many people out enjoying the beautiful weather and the art and foods and books and social-ness.
I had lots of exciting adventures yesterday, too, but I'll share those in another email.
Shabbat Shalom!
sarah
I'm sorry that I haven't gotten back to everyone's personal emails yet - I've had very spotty internet access thus far. However - I'm in Israel!
After a crazy few days of packing and packing and more packing (which I never would have finished without Shoshanah's help), I left Greensboro at 5am on Sunday morning. I flew uneventfully to Washington DC and then to Boston. I wandered around Boston with my friend Aaron for a while, and then got on a flight to Paris. From Paris I flew on to Tel Aviv and I finally arrived on Monday at 4pm local time in Tel Aviv!
I got to my new apartment that evening, met one of my roommates, dropped off my bags, jumped in the shower, and went out to dinner with two friends! Boy, did I sleep well that night. The next morning was registration at Hebrew University which went well. I spent that afternoon downtown getting some necessities (you know, like a new power adapter that doesn't work) and began classes the next morning. (Ulpan = intensive Hebrew language instruction)
My first ulpan: I was placed in level one and argued myself up to level two.
My second ulpan: I was placed in level one and argued myself up to level three.
This ulpan: I was placed in level two and argued myself up to level three.
This level seems perfect for me. A lot is review, but I'm still learning a lot and forcing myself to spend at least an hour and a half on review and homework each night - at this rate I may actually learn Hebrew!
On Wednesday I took the bus home from class as usual (my new apartment is quite close to where my classes will be in September, but a forty-ish minute bus ride from where my classes are this summer). But all of a sudden the bus veered off of its normal route. I had no idea what was going on and, knowing the neighborhood somewhat well, I
realized it was completely skipping my stop. I got off, walked a few blocks back, and got to my apartment. I left my apartment a bit later to run some errands (remember that broken power adapter?) and woa! There was a street fair going on down the road! It was Hebrew Book Week this past week all over Israel, and one of the many events that was going on was a huge street fair in my neighborhood! I spent some time there during the two afternoons and evening that it was going on and ran into nearly a dozen people - old friends, new friends, classmates, roommates, everyone was out! It was so wonderful to see so many people out enjoying the beautiful weather and the art and foods and books and social-ness.
I had lots of exciting adventures yesterday, too, but I'll share those in another email.
Shabbat Shalom!
sarah

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home