More Adventures in Israel

This is not really a blog. There's a whole world out there of bloggers, a whole world of young bloggers, even a whole world of young-Jewish-students-in-Jerusalem bloggers. I have no desire to be part of any of that. These are simply the emails I send out on a weekly basis to my friends and family to update them on my life as a student here in Jerusalem. Feel free to tag along. Just keep your expectations low.

Friday, July 01, 2005

Adventures in Bureaucracy and Activism

So I've had a quite accomplished week. (Okay, so I haven't been spending much more than the bare minimum of time on my ulpan homework, but I think I did well on my test, and besides, I've been *busy*!)

I had a bit of an adventureful arrival at passport control when I arrived in Israel two weeks ago and as a result, was given a two week limit of arranging an appointment at the Interior Ministry. I scheduled my appointment for as soon as one was available - August! - but hopefully by next month I'll have a proper student visa.

Next in the bureaucratic process was a bank account. After signing my name nearly a hundred times on dozens of pages in Hebrew, I am now the proud owner of an Israeli bank account. I think.

I spent the next few afternoons and evenings going out with my friends in Jerusalem (and often doing my homework on the bus to class). Thursday night was Jerusalem Pride Parade. I went with one friend, met up with a dozen more, and never even got to see a handful of other people I knew who were also there. There were so many beautiful people, banners quoting the the Bible (for example, "Love thy neighbor as thyself"), rainbow flags and balloons and signs as far as the eye could see. There was a band, and in the end a DJ, performers, speeches, and booths. There were older and younger people, men, women, and people somewhere in between, children, teenagers, soldiers, religious and secular people, Jewish, Christian, and Muslim. It was incredible.

The streets had all been blocked off and there was a huge police and military presence guarding all the two thousand marchers from the protesters. Yes, there were protesters. In fact, one ultra-Orthodox man rushed into the crowds and stabbed three people before immediately being arrested along with thirteen other protesters who were disturbing the peace. The parade went on, joyfully, ending with a big celebration in a park.

I had an incredible time - it was so great to see so many people gathering together for a happy celebration when it seems like the tensions are amounting daily. Jerusalem is an absolutely amazing city.

And now I'm off to shower for Shabbat!

Take Care,
Sarah

1 Comments:

  • At July 15, 2005 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So what came of the passport mess, what was their issue? I know you were concerned about it on my end.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home