Shabbat Shalom!
So the past two weekends have been lots of fun as I begin to stretch my hostessing muscles. Last week, I came back from Sulha early Friday morning, grabbed a quick nap, and began a harried afternoon of phone calls, shopping, and cooking. By sunset everything was ready and I headed off to Friday evening services. By nine pm I was back home, sharing my living room with fourteen others for an amazingly beautiful vegetarian potluck.
I've met a number of friends in ulpan thus far, and as the first summer session came to a close, those living in the dormitories were scrambling for places to live before their new apartments opened up on August first. Last weekend a friend of mine asked if she could sleep over for Shabbat and I decided to take advantage of the opportunity to host a Shabbat meal. Of course, since I'd spent the previous days camping at Sulha, I didn't have as much time as I'd hoped to cook and prepare so we made the meal a potluck. Everyone brought a little something and we had an amazing time.
This past week, still exhausted from my crazy social life, I wasn't planning on hosting any meals. But then another friend from ulpan asked if she could sleep over for Shabbat. Seeing as we had no other meals arranged, I decided to co-host, with one of my flatmates, another big dinner. This time we had more time to prepare and so yesterday afternoon was spent cutting lots of veggies and making a huge salad, stir fry, lentils, and lots of other goodies. As the sun dropped lower, we were still guesstimating the number of guests. I decided to set the table for twelve, even though only ten had responded. As I was arranging the chairs and dishes in the last few moments, I was interrupted by two more phone calls. Twelve it was.
I ran around the city that night and still made it it back to the apartment before any of the guests. With some last minute adjustments everything was a go. The meal went wonderfully well. Each time I've had a different grouping of friends (and their friends) come over and yet the conversations all seem to flow so perfectly between old friends and new. And I can not-too-humbly state that there has already been a shidduch (couple) as a result of one of my meals.
I love having such a diverse crowd at the table - students, professionals, soldiers, Americans, Israelis, South Africans, Norwegians, Brits, people living in Israel and those just visiting. This past week was even more exciting because of all the firsts sitting around the table. Some peoples' first Shabbat in Israel, for others, their first all-young people (not families) Shabbat meal in Jerusalem, and for some their first traditional Shabbat dinner ever. I love having guests, eating well, and sitting around schmoozing until two am. I'm excited to continue to host big meals - especially now that I see how fun and easy it can be.
Next week I plan on having guests over for lunch. First course: gazpacho.
I've met a number of friends in ulpan thus far, and as the first summer session came to a close, those living in the dormitories were scrambling for places to live before their new apartments opened up on August first. Last weekend a friend of mine asked if she could sleep over for Shabbat and I decided to take advantage of the opportunity to host a Shabbat meal. Of course, since I'd spent the previous days camping at Sulha, I didn't have as much time as I'd hoped to cook and prepare so we made the meal a potluck. Everyone brought a little something and we had an amazing time.
This past week, still exhausted from my crazy social life, I wasn't planning on hosting any meals. But then another friend from ulpan asked if she could sleep over for Shabbat. Seeing as we had no other meals arranged, I decided to co-host, with one of my flatmates, another big dinner. This time we had more time to prepare and so yesterday afternoon was spent cutting lots of veggies and making a huge salad, stir fry, lentils, and lots of other goodies. As the sun dropped lower, we were still guesstimating the number of guests. I decided to set the table for twelve, even though only ten had responded. As I was arranging the chairs and dishes in the last few moments, I was interrupted by two more phone calls. Twelve it was.
I ran around the city that night and still made it it back to the apartment before any of the guests. With some last minute adjustments everything was a go. The meal went wonderfully well. Each time I've had a different grouping of friends (and their friends) come over and yet the conversations all seem to flow so perfectly between old friends and new. And I can not-too-humbly state that there has already been a shidduch (couple) as a result of one of my meals.
I love having such a diverse crowd at the table - students, professionals, soldiers, Americans, Israelis, South Africans, Norwegians, Brits, people living in Israel and those just visiting. This past week was even more exciting because of all the firsts sitting around the table. Some peoples' first Shabbat in Israel, for others, their first all-young people (not families) Shabbat meal in Jerusalem, and for some their first traditional Shabbat dinner ever. I love having guests, eating well, and sitting around schmoozing until two am. I'm excited to continue to host big meals - especially now that I see how fun and easy it can be.
Next week I plan on having guests over for lunch. First course: gazpacho.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home