Mid-May Musings
Mid-May Musings
It’s early Friday afternoon. My apartment smells of lysol, bleach, and other assorted cleaning supplies. The washing machine is humming with tablecloths, towels, and assorted rags. I just finished a combo pre-Shabbat/post-party apartment cleaning.
Although my birthday isn’t for another two and a half weeks, I threw myself a pre-birthday party last night. I requested (okay, required) of all my guests to teach me something as a birthday present. [Isn’t that a great idea? Shoshanah thought of it first.] I learned an amazing assortment of facts and skills. I now know how to crochet, how to tie a one-handed double knot on shoelaces, and how to make a flexagram. I also know a brief history of the development of kippot, why people hiccup, and that Traverse City, Michigan is the cherry capital. Plus I now have a small vocabulary of words in Zulu, Yiddish, Wolof, Japanese, Russian, and Arabic. Aren’t birthday parties great?
Of course, many of my close friends I’ve made this year couldn’t make it. Starting last week and continuing for the next few weeks, most of the amazing people I’ve met and become close with the past year are leaving to return to their home countries. Sure, I have a few dozen friends who live here who aren’t planning on leaving any time soon, but that doesn’t change the reality that I may not see many of my friends for a very long time. (I refuse to believe that I’ll never see them again.) As everyone goes off to work, grad school, volunteering fellowships, and every other imaginable Future, I stay in my comfortable apartment in Jerusalem. I’ve been having nightmares about packing up all my stuff before I wake up to remember that I’m not going anywhere – at least not for a few years.
Okay, so that’s a bit of a lie. I just purchased plane tickets this week – I’ll be returning to America for a few weeks in June/July to visit some family and friends. When I return, I will enroll in Hebrew classes at the University of Haifa, in the north of Israel, for a month. But after that early summer traveling, I will be returning to my home here in Jerusalem to buckle down and learn some more. I’ll go back to my same school with many of the same teachers, but almost none of the same students. That’s the nature of Pardes – most people come to learn for a year and then move on with their lives. Their main goal, in fact, is to provide one year of intensive Judaic text learning before their students return to their ‘real lives’ in North America. For those of us in special programs that last longer than one year, this means that the majority of our classmates and friends pack up and leave in early June to scatter themselves across the globe and we’re left having to make new friends again. And again. Now don’t get me wrong – I love making new friends and I’m excited for how many different friends I’ll have at the end of three years here. But right now, in mid-May as everyone packs up and ships their books to various ports I’m left feeling a bit lonely.
I’m grateful for all the amazing experiences I’ve had and the relationships I’ve built over the past year. I look forward to the ones I can continue to nourish as well as the ones I have yet to begin. It’s a bitter-sweet season, mid-May. Beginnings and endings. Closing doors and opening windows. Birthday parties and goodbye parties. And sometimes, both rolled up in one.
It’s early Friday afternoon. My apartment smells of lysol, bleach, and other assorted cleaning supplies. The washing machine is humming with tablecloths, towels, and assorted rags. I just finished a combo pre-Shabbat/post-party apartment cleaning.
Although my birthday isn’t for another two and a half weeks, I threw myself a pre-birthday party last night. I requested (okay, required) of all my guests to teach me something as a birthday present. [Isn’t that a great idea? Shoshanah thought of it first.] I learned an amazing assortment of facts and skills. I now know how to crochet, how to tie a one-handed double knot on shoelaces, and how to make a flexagram. I also know a brief history of the development of kippot, why people hiccup, and that Traverse City, Michigan is the cherry capital. Plus I now have a small vocabulary of words in Zulu, Yiddish, Wolof, Japanese, Russian, and Arabic. Aren’t birthday parties great?
Of course, many of my close friends I’ve made this year couldn’t make it. Starting last week and continuing for the next few weeks, most of the amazing people I’ve met and become close with the past year are leaving to return to their home countries. Sure, I have a few dozen friends who live here who aren’t planning on leaving any time soon, but that doesn’t change the reality that I may not see many of my friends for a very long time. (I refuse to believe that I’ll never see them again.) As everyone goes off to work, grad school, volunteering fellowships, and every other imaginable Future, I stay in my comfortable apartment in Jerusalem. I’ve been having nightmares about packing up all my stuff before I wake up to remember that I’m not going anywhere – at least not for a few years.
Okay, so that’s a bit of a lie. I just purchased plane tickets this week – I’ll be returning to America for a few weeks in June/July to visit some family and friends. When I return, I will enroll in Hebrew classes at the University of Haifa, in the north of Israel, for a month. But after that early summer traveling, I will be returning to my home here in Jerusalem to buckle down and learn some more. I’ll go back to my same school with many of the same teachers, but almost none of the same students. That’s the nature of Pardes – most people come to learn for a year and then move on with their lives. Their main goal, in fact, is to provide one year of intensive Judaic text learning before their students return to their ‘real lives’ in North America. For those of us in special programs that last longer than one year, this means that the majority of our classmates and friends pack up and leave in early June to scatter themselves across the globe and we’re left having to make new friends again. And again. Now don’t get me wrong – I love making new friends and I’m excited for how many different friends I’ll have at the end of three years here. But right now, in mid-May as everyone packs up and ships their books to various ports I’m left feeling a bit lonely.
I’m grateful for all the amazing experiences I’ve had and the relationships I’ve built over the past year. I look forward to the ones I can continue to nourish as well as the ones I have yet to begin. It’s a bitter-sweet season, mid-May. Beginnings and endings. Closing doors and opening windows. Birthday parties and goodbye parties. And sometimes, both rolled up in one.

1 Comments:
At January 20, 2010 7:09 AM,
Anonymous said…
Benign prostatic hyperplasia, commonly known as BPH, is an enlargement of the prostate area. It is more profuse in older men. As men are comely more cultivated connected with health issues, they rig out to medical treatment for BPH. Dutas, a generic trim of Avodart([URL=http://jeqpqpv.1freewebspace.com/avodart-and-night-sweats.html]avodart and night sweats[/URL] [URL=http://jeqpqpv.1freewebspace.com/avodart-generic.html]avodart generic[/URL] [URL=http://jeqpqpv.1freewebspace.com/avodart-edema.html]avodart edema[/URL] [URL=http://jeqpqpv.1freewebspace.com/avodart-side-effects-and-localized-edema.html]avodart side effects and localized edema[/URL] [URL=http://jeqpqpv.1freewebspace.com/avodart-for-bph.html]avodart for bph[/URL] ), has been proven as an functional treatment of BPH. BPH and its symptoms that adversely upset the grandeur of lifestyle can be treated successfully at near Dutas. The primary hint of BPH is the frequency of essential to urinate. This occurs almost always at night but then progresses to the necessary to urine frequently in every part of the day. BPH sufferers afterward discharge a reduction in aptitude in urine stream. Discomfort accompanies this reduction. A medical doctor should carry testing to terminate if BPH is the cause of the symptoms. The effectiveness of Dutas is start in the chemical merge Dutasteride. This running ingredient is an alpha-reductase 5 inhibitor which impedes the conversion of testosterone into dihydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT is considered a persuasive form of testosterone. BPH symptoms vanish once the conversion is interrupted. Dutas has been base to be noticeable in BPH instead of many sufferers. Prescriptions finasteride and finasteride has been shown to only inhibit one isoform of alpha redictase 5. It has been established that Dutasteride has been proven to bridle two isoforms. Dutas manifestly appears to furnish the unexcelled treatment close by seeking BPH. Dutas make be entranced as directed with some precautions. Erectile dysfunction and decreased carnal libido are the most commonly reported side effects during use of Dutas. Gynecomastia or enlargement of virile boob combination is another possible side effect. Additionally, women who are suggestive or women wanting to grow enceinte should not be exposed to Dutas; developing male fetuses can be adversely afflicted on these inhibitors. Dutas can be engaged through the skin so special suffering should be exercised for enceinte women or women second-rate to fit pregnant. Another side clout of Dutas is a favourable one. Some men oblige reported whisker replenishment while fetching Dutas. BPH can be treated by discussing medications and feasible side effects with a medical professional. Dutas can provide competent treatment of BPH. A worry-free, active way of life is surge advantage the effort.
[URL=http://jeqpqpv.1freewebspace.com/avodart-directions.html]avodart directions[/URL]
[URL=http://jeqpqpv.1freewebspace.com/avodart-side-effects-and-localized-edema.html]avodart side effects and localized edema[/URL]
[URL=http://jeqpqpv.1freewebspace.com/prostate-cancer-prevention-avodart.html]prostate cancer prevention avodart[/URL]
[URL=http://jeqpqpv.1freewebspace.com/avodart-heartburn.html]avodart heartburn[/URL]
[URL=http://jeqpqpv.1freewebspace.com/avodart-in-europe.html]avodart in europe[/URL]
Post a Comment
<< Home